Fasting is one of the greatest habits have incorporated in my life over the last few years. Fasting is about denying yourself desirable foods and beverages. Some people fast for weight loss and healthy living. I mainly fast for spiritual insight and still reap the health benefits.
BENEFITS OF FASTING:
- Break strongholds and addictions
- Speed up your metabolism
- Improve brain function such as mental clarity, better memory, and sharp thinking
- Boost your immune system
- Weight loss
- Decrease chances of getting certain health conditions such as diabetes
- Eliminate distractions to focus on goal planning and priorities(relationships, business, etc)
- Get back on track( spiritually, mentally, and, physically)
- Closer relationship with God. You may experience prophetic dreams, answered prayers, God may speak to you, etc
- Bright, clear and glowing skin
- Decrease belly bloating
- Improved digestion
- Discipline with food portion control. Fasting was the answer to my prayer to stop gluttony.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF FASTING:
- Skip one meal per day either breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Eat one meal per day.
- Fast once a week.
- Eliminate certain foods and beverages for a period of time.
- No food from sunrise to sunset.
- Water fast
- Juice fast
- No food or drink for certain amount of days. I have fasted for 24 hours without eating or drinking for quick intervention, direction, and breakthrough. And yes God answered my prayer. I woke up the next morning with solutions to my problems, was extremely encouraged, and less anxious (please be cautious and seek medical professional beforehand especially if fasting for longer than 3 days).
- 21 day Daniel Fast. Daniel Fast is based off the book in the Bible. Daniel fast was about denying himself enjoyable foods and drinks for answered prayers. He only ate vegetables and drunk water(Daniel 10:3, 1:12). Daniel was stronger and could do more while fasting ( so don’t lay around even the strongest animals eat a plant based diet). Usually complete 21 day fast twice a year with faith based Facebook group and my church. There is power when two or more gather together in prayer (Matthew 18:20).
*For health reasons please consult with your medical doctor to ensure fasting will not compromise your health especially if you have chronic health problems and take prescription medications*
21 DAY DANIEL FAST CAN AND CAN’T EAT AND DRINK LIST:
Daniel fast is similar to a vegan diet but with more restrictions.
Can eat and drink list:
- Fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned
- Vegetables- fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned
- Whole grains such as amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, whole wheat, etc
- Nuts – almonds, cashews, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, etc
- Seeds- pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, poppy, etc
- Milk- unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, soy milk
- Butter – nut butters
- Legumes- canned or dried such as black beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas(garbanzo), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentil, pinto beans, split peas, etc
- Oils- avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, etc
- Beverages – WATER ONLY includes distilled water, filtered water, spring water (add fresh fruit and herbs for flavor). PLEASE DRINK AT LEAST 8 glasses of water per day! Drinking water is essential to flush toxins out your body!
- Seasonings- herbs, spices, salt, pepper
- Protein – tofu, beans(chickpeas, kidney, black, navy, pinto), almonds, green vegetables(kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts), chia seeds, flaxseeds, lentils
CAN’T eat and drink list:
- Meat and animal products – bacon, pork, beef, lamb, fish, eggs, etc
- Dairy products – butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, ice cream, whey protein powder, sour cream, etc
- Sweeteners – sugar (stevia, raw, cane, brown), syrup, molasses, agave nectar, honey, artificial sweeteners
- Leavened breads and baked goods ( because contains yeast and sugar)
- Refined and processed foods – artificial flavorings, chemicals, fast foods, food additives, preservatives, white flour, white rice, etc
- Fried foods such as chips, french fries, potato chips, meats, etc
- Fats – lard, margarine, shortening, etc
- Beverages- alcohol, juice, soda, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, tea
RESOURCES & TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
- Recipes – https://ultimatedanielfast.com/recipes/
- Read book the Daniel fast by Susan Gregory includes 21 devotionals and meal plans
- Don’t think about food because will increase your appetite causing you to always feel hungry. This is a good time to practice mind control. When it gets tough think about how wonderful you will feel and look, how your prayers will be answered, health benefits, and developing personal relationship with God.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to prevent feeling hungry. Sometimes we are not hungry rather dehydrated.
- Add lemon and/or fresh fruits you like when crave juice or soda.
- When I fast limit amount of time spend on social media, don’t watch or listen to anything worldly, eliminate anything that won’t help me evolve, or achieve my goals.
- Listen to sermons on Youtube about prayer and fasting. Recommend YouTube sermons : Learn how to pray and fast for a breakthrough with Rick Warren, Learn how to recognize Gods voice with Rick Warren, Prayer that works by Tony Evans, Praying through a crisis by Tony Evans, and Praying in Jesus Name by Tony Evans.
- Daily quiet time( read devotional, read bible, pray, listen to praise and worship music, be quiet to allow God to speak to you( relationship involves two people)
- Create a spiritual journal to write your prayer requests, thoughts, dreams, and experience. It’s nice to look back over the years to see how far you have come and answered prayers.
- Plan your day, meals, and quiet time.
- Read spiritual books. I recommend Why tongues by Kenneth E. Hagin
- Recommend 21 day Daniel Fast partake every September with Facebook group. Follow Dr. Faith Wokoma on Facebook or IG Faith Wokoma to register for free.
- Pay attention to your body. If you feel weak, lightheaded, not like yourself, or sick stop the fast and consult your doctor as soon as possible. Although, be aware of the signs of detoxing. When you’re not consuming caffeine, sugar, alcohol, smoking, or anything that leads to addiction and toxicity may experience withdrawal symptoms.
SIGNS OF DETOXING:
- Frequent urination
- Loose stools or frequent bowel movements
- Cranky/ moodiness
*Seek medical attention as soon as possible if experience anxiety, tremors/shaking, high or low blood pressure, heart palpitations/heart beating fast*
HOW TO END YOUR FAST:
Gradually incorporate solid foods and dairy after your fast to prevent stomach pain and discomfort. You will notice after your fast foods and drinks no longer taste good because your taste buds are accustomed to healthy foods. Healthy foods will taste better. Eat small meals as you ease back to normal routine but want to encourage you to continue to incorporate healthy foods and beverages.
BIBLE SCRIPTURES PERTAINING TO FASTING:
- Matthew 6:16-18
- Exodus 34:28
- Ezra 8:21-23
- Isaiah 58:6
- Joel 2:12
XOXO Go Patty💋 😘
Sharing is caring! Click below to share on Facebook, Pinterest, and/or LinkedIn.
SUBSCRIBE TO EMAIL LIST FOR NEW BLOG POSTS, GIVEAWAYS, AND MORE.
FOLLOW GO PATTY ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS. FEEL FREE TO COMMENT OR ASK QUESTIONS BELOW. IF YOU HAVE PERSONAL QUESTIONS DON’T WANT TO PUBLICLY COMMENT EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply